Vermont Birth to Five offers a comprehensive Teaching Strategies GOLD® training and support project to two regions across the state each year. Approximately 40 early childhood professionals from home- and center-based programs engage in a nine month process of introductory training, ongoing coaching, and advanced training including the use of technology to support use of the assessment system, implementation of the on-line assessment system in their program including completion of three checkpoints, and reliability certification.
To learn more about the impact of the VB5 Teaching Strategies GOLD® project, click here.
Teaching Strategies GOLD® is an observational assessment measure used by teachers and designed to assess the ongoing development and learning of children from birth through kindergarten. This research-backed assessment tool has 36 objectives organized within the areas of social–emotional, physical, language, cognitive, literacy, and mathematics.
With Teaching Strategies GOLD®, teachers can:
- Use a variety of online tools to gather and organize meaningful data quickly, including online portfolios where children’s work can be stored.
- Create a developmental profile of each child to answer the questions, “What does this child know? What is he or she able to do?”
- Understand how their observations relate to important objectives for development and learning and use that understanding to scaffold each child’s learning.
- Determine if a child is making progress and compare the child’s knowledge, skills, and behaviors to those of most children of his or her age or class/group.
- Recognize children who might benefit from special help, screening, or further evaluation.
- Generate comprehensive reports that can be customized easily and shared with family members and other stakeholders.
For more information about the VB5 Teaching Strategies GOLD® project, please contact the regional manager in your area:
- Burlington, Springfield and Hartford AHS Districts: Didi Harris – 802-343-7450
- Newport, Barre and St. Johnsbury AHS Districts: Lorraine Vernet – 802-760-8878
- St. Albans, Morrisville and Middlebury AHS Districts: LouAnn Beninati – 802-578-5087
- Bennington, Brattleboro and Rutland AHS Districts: Sharron Harrington – 802-681-8382