Teaching Strategies GOLD
Vermont Birth to Five offers a comprehensive Teaching Strategies GOLD training and support project to two regions across the state each year. Approximately 40 early childhood professionals from home- and center-based programs engage in a nine month process of introductory training, ongoing coaching, and advanced training including the use of technology to support use of the assessment system, implementation of the on-line assessment system in their program including completion of three checkpoints, and reliability certification.
To learn more about the impact of the VB5 Teaching Strategies GOLD project, click here.
Teaching Strategies GOLD is an observational assessment measure used by teachers and designed to assess the ongoing development and learning of children from birth through kindergarten. This research-backed assessment tool has 36 objectives organized within the areas of social–emotional, physical, language, cognitive, literacy, and mathematics.
With Teaching Strategies GOLD, teachers can:
- Use a variety of online tools to gather and organize meaningful data quickly, including online portfolios where children’s work can be stored.
- Create a developmental profile of each child to answer the questions, “What does this child know? What is he or she able to do?”
- Understand how their observations relate to important objectives for development and learning and use that understanding to scaffold each child’s learning.
- Determine if a child is making progress and compare the child’s knowledge, skills, and behaviors to those of most children of his or her age or class/group.
- Recognize children who might benefit from special help, screening, or further evaluation.
- Generate comprehensive reports that can be customized easily and shared with family members and other stakeholders.